Thursday, September 10, 2015

News & Notes

It looks like my last two beers, Ivywild IPA and Marryin' Berries Irish Red Ale, are failures. They were way over-carbonated (one was my fault for sure and the other one was a recipe that called for too much honey as a primer). Maybe I contaminated the beer by trying to release the CO2 by prying the caps up for a bit.

I'm very disappointed.

FERMENTING:

I have five beers fermenting right now (see above picture). I have an Imperial IPA on the left front, an American (hoppy) Wheat to its right, a saison behind it, a 5 gallon batch of porter in the green tub and a pumpkin ale on top of the red dresser. I'm taking temperature readings and adjusting swamp cooler water levels and temps as needed.

ON DECK: Right now, I have a lot of darker specialty grains (kilned, roasted, etc. etc.) so I want to do some stouts and porters this fall. I'm also considering a Belgian IPA, another saison and maybe a barleywine. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment