Thursday, January 14, 2016

Hobson's Choice Saison (F3-05-05-57)

The "powers that be" have decided to change the name of West Oak Brewery to WEST OAK BREWING (or WEST OAK BREWING COMPANY). Onward and upward, right?! I don't have any immediate plans to do anything, but I do often dream of opening a small brewery in town. Until then, I'll just try to make the best beer I can make.

That said...I brewed Hobson's Choice saison on January 11th. I liked Tis the Season saison and was hoping to do another batch of it, but I just wanted to perfect it a bit. It was funky- don't get me wrong- but I wanted it FUNKIER. I only had 2-row with the Tis the Saison so I switched it out with the Pilsen malt that I bought a few weeks ago. I finally performed my first two-step mash when I was making this beer. It was a bit difficult to step up to the next temperature, but I just heated up water in a measuring cup in the microwave and started pouring and stirring until I had what I thought was the right temperature. That's all I could do.

Late last year, I purchased a Thermostar temperature controller. With the added purchase of my Brewer's heating pad a few weeks ago, I am now able to take more control of my fermenting temperatures. Currently, I have the one gallon jug sitting on the pad and the temp is around 80 degrees. My plan is to hold this temp for a few weeks, shake the trub/yeast a little and bring the temps to 85, then slowly bring it down so I can bottle it after a good 2.5 to 3 weeks fermentation.

Tis the Saison was pretty good. I hope that Hobson's Choice turns out to be a better beer. If it does, I will definitely send it to the National Homebrewer's Conference in Baltimore this year. I need to find out what the BJCP officials think!

My new temp control all lit up with my mash water heater right behind it and the one gallon jug to the right in the background...my saison!

No comments:

Post a Comment