Plunder, the Belgian dubbel, received a score of 38. Some comments about the beer were: dark fruit, fig/plum, tobacco, mahogany highlights, licorice. I got some points off for low carbonation,astringent favors after it warmed up and that it needs deeper roast or aromatic malts. The people judging my beer said that they would pay money for the beer and want the recipe!
Even though I didn't move on, I think I got some good advice and I will work in it for next time.
Hobson's Choice, the saison, didn't fare as well and only garnered 28 points in the competition. Both judges agreed that it was probably better early in, but the beer took on some oxygen after I shipped it off Gary glass, current president of rhevAHA, actually scored my beer and gave me some good advice. It looks like the hop bitterness was too low, which I will have to look into. I know I used a hop that most people don't use for saison a, so I'll ha e to check on that again.


No comments:
Post a Comment