Friday, January 2, 2015

F1-02-03-17: Batch 17 IPA

Label inspiration: I wanted a green background but with just a little flair to it and I also wanted to use a font that would make it look like the name could be on crates or boxes.



Mr. Beer’s American Devil IPA recipe (discontinued)

The malt extract for this recipe was slightly past the expiration date, but I went ahead and made it anyway because I really enjoy IPAs and I enjoyed making this beer the first time I tried it (Finney's Pennsylvania Dutch Pale Ale). 

2 cans of American Devil IPA HME
2 packets Dry Brewing Yeast

My additions: 

Booster
¼ oz Centennial hops

ABV: 4.7% plus Booster 1.4%...6.1% TOTAL
Not sure about the SRM or IBU

Brewed batch on February 17, 2014. Sanitized as normal. I used the keg I used last time (for the Nutbrown ale). Also used Craft Meister’s cleanser in the keg, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then I used One-Step as normal. I sanitized everything else as I usually do as well (slotted spoon, can opener, large spoon, measuring cup, whisk, etc. etc.).
I used Booster in the pot before boiling it, dissolved it before turning on the stove. Once it was dissolved, I put the burner on HIGH and added ¼ oz (half of the bag) of Centennial hops into the Booster-water mixture. The hop pellets broke up a bit as it started to boil and I took it off the burner. I didn’t use a muslin sack.
NOTE: I realized that I should've either steeped them in the Booster/water mixture before adding the heat ot should've added them after I took the wort off the stove.
The hops didn't boil for too long before I took the wort off the stove. I then added the 2 cans of American Devil IPA HME and stirred it well. Smelled pretty good. I poured the wort into the keg.
I added cold water to the appropriate mark on the keg and stirred it up again. After that, I sprinkled the yeast that came with the 2 cans into the keg. I let the yeast sit on top of the wort for 5 minutes. After that, I stirred it all up again, trying to get the wort all frothy and bubbly. After that, I put it on the shelf.
NOTE: Once again, I didn't place the wort pot into an ice bath. I figured the chilled water would reduce the wort temperature enough. In hindsight, I should've paid more attention to the wort temps. I didn't even take notes on the temperature of the LBK as the days went on...not good!
Bottled on March 3, 2014. I used regular table sugar and bottle primed.
Conditioned beer on March 17, 2014. St. Patty's Day. I tried to have one that day (a cold one) but it wasn't good. Didn't taste at all like Finney's Pale Ale. I tried this beer a few more times in the weeks to come but it never really tasted good at all. 

OVERALL SCORE: 1 out of 10. Nasty. Not good. Seventh beer in a row. Temps were probably to blame (when I first put the wort into the LBK and during the fermentation process). Almost done with making beer, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment