| Label inspiration: I wanted a dark label with pumpkins on it, even though I didn't want to do a pumpkin beer. |
Mr. Beer’s Oktoberfestivus recipe
OG: 1.046 (approx.) -- FG: 1.011 (approx.)
Suggested lager time is 3 to 6 weeks.
From the Mr. Beer website:
Oktoberfest comes but once a year. If you can't go to Munich, you can still
enjoy some traditional Oktoberfest at home, just try and save some for the rest
of us to bring out the best in us. The complexity of amber malt flavors and
balanced hops forms a true representation of this traditional German mainstay.
Celebrate in style!
RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Oktoberfest HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 BrewMax DME Softpack - Smooth
1 1/2 oz. Packet Perle Hop Pellets
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser
RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Oktoberfest HME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 BrewMax DME Softpack - Smooth
1 1/2 oz. Packet Perle Hop Pellets
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser
ABV: 4.7% SRM: 14 IBU: 21
| Brewed on September 3, 2013. I followed this new Mr. Beer recipe to the letter. I’m pretty sure I also sanitized really well- I want this beer to do well because I’m so tired of having my beer turn out tasting like crap. |
Bottled
beer on September 21, 2013. I primed this beer with regular table sugar. I
am not sure I sanitized the measuring spoons and funnel I used for the
priming…don’t think so. Maybe that’s why my beer gets to be too sweet.
Refrigerated
beer on October 19, 2013. It may be a little late, but I just turned the
bottles a few days ago so I wanted a few days of (maybe) more fermenting.
Tasted
beer in November 2013, not sure of the exact day. Not good at all!
The beer is too cidery, which probably means too much sugar when bottle priming
(I guess). It might be my sanitization, too.
OVERALL SCORE: 1 out of 10. I don't think I really paid too much attention to the making of this beer. Very discouraged. I think people who brew beer with Mr. Beer think it gives them a good introduction to brewing, but it doesn't give you the whole picture. It also just isn't good beer for the most part, in my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment