Monday, May 28, 2012

F1-01-01-01: Greene(r) Shade of Pale

Label inspiration: my bungalow on West Oak Avenue, a twist on the song "Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum
This basic beer was brewed a few days after I got the Mr. Beer kit from my parents for Christmas. I told them months before that I saw one and I'd be interested in learning how to make beer. This was my first shot at it. Here's what I wrote in my beer journal at the time:

3.7% ABV, SRM: 3, IBU: 22
Mr. Beer fermenter, West Coast Pale Ale Malt Extract, Booster, yeast
Brewed batch on December 27, 2009. According to directions that came with Mr. Beer. Heat was on 66 degrees (thermostat) for most of the time. I changed it to 67 or 68 the last few days.
Tasted beer two weeks later, on January 10, 2010. Taste was like flat beer. I noticed a slight sweet flavor, too but it was not an overwhelming one.
Bottled batch on January 11, 2010. Only used 22 ½ bottles, though. Beer still tasted flat and was a little cloudy. Looked like a Corona or light ale but not as “blonde”. Decided to bottle it after reading online that it might be ok. Placed the bottles in the mud room…in case one explodes! Went with the “2-2-2” rule found on a Mr. Beer fan website…2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating and 2 weeks conditioning. I used 3 Carbtabs (Mouton’s) for each bottle.
Rolled the beer on January 16, 2010. During the carbonation period, almost a week into it, I took each bottle, inverted it 45 degrees and gently rolled it one turn. Maybe the yeast will work more of its magic!
Started conditioning process on January 25, 2010. Placed beer in refrigerator.
Tasted “a few” beers on January 31, 2010. Not bad. A tad sweet, but not too sweet. Slightly flat, but I only used three carb tabs. Deep golden color, darker than a Budweiser. Tasted better than a Bud, actually!
Needed more carb tabs. I didn’t see the “floaties” that some pople eluded to, but I guess that’s cause I turned the bottles after a week.
At this point, I might not have any beer left in three weeks!
February 7, 2010 Tastes pretty much the same as it did last week.
February 11, 2010 I had a beer while I was brewing batch #2. Tastes a little more bitter than it did a week ago but not bad. A little light, though…watery? I guess it had a different consistency due to the lack of carbonation.
February 23, 2010 Second-to-last beer. The beer actually tastes worse after the two-week conditioning phase. Not a big fan…even though it’s beer.

OVERALL SCORE:  3 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment