| Label inspiration: I just wanted a neat picture of a pumpkin patch... |
(based on Mr. Beer’s Pumpkin lager)
ABV- 5.1% SRM- 10 IBU-
22
1 can
West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 can
Mellow Amber UME
1
packet of yeast
½ C
brown sugar
1 can
cooked pumpkin puree (my addition- organic pumpkin from Farmer’s Market)
2
teaspoons ground cinnamon
½
teaspoon nutmeg
slightly
less than ½ teaspoon ground cloves (my own addition)
Brewed batch on September 19, 2010. Sanitized the
keg real well, filling it almost to the top with diluted One-Step and sanitized
the utensils, too. Used cloves along with the other spices just because my
favorite pumpkin pie recipe calls for cloves. I also bought a can of organic
pumpkin from Farmer’s Market at Railway Market. It said “cooked” in the
instructions so I put it in a pan and warmed it a bit. I think it may have
helped in the dissolution a bit (it wasn’t as chunky). The brown sugar and
spices smelled really good before I put the extracts in.
After a few hours, I thought I would see some
“action” in the fermenter, but…nothing.
October 2, 2010 I noticed that the
temps have been going from 62-66 off and on due to serious changes in the
temperatures outside. I think they are gradual changes and hopefully it won’t
affect things too much.
Bottled batch on October 12, 2010.
Tasted it for the first time. A little sweet but I LOVED the smell and the
flavor! Maybe this will turn out to be my best one yet! I used the organic
sugar with this recipe and bottled the same way I have been for the past few
times.
Conditioned beer on November 12, 2010.
Drank beer on November 19, 2010 and again on November 25,
2010. The clove flavor is just too overpowering that
it’s hard to figure out if this is a good beer or not.
February 28, 2011. Had a few more
Pumpkin Patch Ales tonight. No bad, but definitely not great because of the
clove flavor. NOTE: A slight less cloves and definitely some nutmeg next time!
OVERALL SCORE: 6 of 10
No comments:
Post a Comment