| Label inspiration: I was searching for autumnal equinox pictures and came upon this one... |
(based on Mr. Beer’s Otto’s Oktoberfest)
ABV- 4.6% SRM- 12
IBU- 23
1 can
of Octoberfest Vienna Lager HME
1 can
of Golden Wheat UME
1
packet of Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast
1
packet of Sterling Pellet Hops
1
Muslin Hop Sack
Brewed batch on August 29, 2010, one
week after starting my Boot’s Brown Ale. Still thinking about the pure cane
sugar method as opposed to carb tabs for my carbonation. Not sure yet. This is the second time in a row that I have
royally screwed up the brewing process. What’s going on with me?!
I think I did well with the sanitization
process; however, I’m a little lacking when it comes to the mixing process. The
first problem I had was putting the pellet hops in the sanitized hops sack. I
did this near the dish I use to sanitize all of my utensils. BIG MISTAKE! Some
of the hops fell into the dish and soon I had green and hoppy sanitized water.
I put the rest of the hops into the sack, tied it off, cut it and threw it into
the pot with the extract. I think I used about ¾ of the pellets- I was only
supposed to use ½.
Next, just like with my Boot’s Brown Ale, I
spilled a bit of the wort over the side of my fermenter as I was pouring the
wort in. Graceful, I am not.
AND, as if that weren’t quite enough…I realized
later that the yeast I used was something I had purchased separately with the
Mr. Beer recipe- it was NOT part of the recipe. Saflager S-23 is supposed to be
used for lagers, too but the beers are fermeted between 51-59 degrees
(optimal). Apparently, I can get up to 75 degrees, but I’ll try to stay around
70 or 72 degrees. To top that off—it says that if I’m using the yeast for less
than 5% ABV, I only need half of the package. I used it all.
SO…more hops, more yeast, higher temps than
normal for the yeast…we’ll see what happens.
Bottled batch September 19, 2010 The same day I brewed the best smelling
batch ever—Pumpkin Patch Lager. I used the Domino’s organic cane
sugar again and also employed the bottling technique as described in the Boot’s
Brown Ale section. I capped the bottles with aluminum foil before I put them in
the oven (to sanitize them).
October 12, 2010 Placed bottles in
refrigerator.
November 19, 2010. I tried one beer and
it didn’t taste good. It tasted like some of the beers I made earlier…maybe it
is infected.
November 25, 2010. Nope. Not good at
all. Tasted another one and threw it out.
December 10, 2010. Finally threw out
all the beer. It was probably infected big time. Very disappointed.
OVERALL SCORE: 2 of 10
No comments:
Post a Comment