| Label inspiration: working on the Chesapeake Bay and watching the watermen every morning |
This beer was based on Mr. Bill's brew recipe from Mr. Beer....
ABV- 5.0% SRM- 3 IBU- 18
Mr. Beer fermenter, Bill’s Brew kit (American
Blonde Ale HME, Williamette hops, Booster, yeast, 1 Cup Gunter’s Pure Clover
honey), a dash of Old Bay (my addition).
Brewed batch on February 11, 2010.
Followed directions except I sprinkled a dash of Old Bay into the Booster and
water mix just as it was boiling.
Checked beer on February 14, 2010.
Temperature on the temp. strip said 66 degrees. I could see foam in the
fermenter. I’m a bit worried about the sanitation process…afraid that I didn’t
do that well enough.
Checked beer on February 23, 2010. Still
on 66 degrees. Might want to wait past the normal 2-week period to bottle it.
Tasted beer on March 1, 2010. A little
sweet, cloudy. Too long fermenting. There were things “hanging” from the water
level in the fermenter…hanging down towards the bottom. There’s trub at the
bottom, too. Not sure if it’s contaminated or not. Will bottle anyway.
Bottled beer on March 1, 2010.
Only bottled 20 because I was afraid the trub would get into my last few
bottles. Maybe the “nasties” were the hops I put in without using the hop sack.
Started conditioning on March 20, 2010 It
doesn’t look good. A lot of “floaties”, probably from the hops I left in there.
Dumb decision, I think in hindsight.
Drank one April 2, 2010 Could’ve died! No, it wasn’t that bad
actually, but it tasted a little like a hefeweizen for some reason, maybe that
was the honey or the hops…who knows. I’m going to let it condition a little
more.
UPDATE May 9, 2010: Overall, it
was ok. I think the ones I bottled at the end were bad because they had all of
the trub and leftover floaty crap in them. A few friends of mine liked it—I was a bit
surprised. I think the ones I gave them were a lot better than the ones I had
at home.
OVERALL SCORE: 4 of 10
No comments:
Post a Comment