| Label inspiration: I just wanted a nice, spring-like scene for the label... |
From their website:
Mr. Beer’s Spring Seasonal Beer, Maibock,
German-style Lager
ABV: 6.5% SRM: 10
IBU: 14
(4-6 weeks suggested lager time)
"Mr.Beer®'s Maibock German-Style Lager is made from the
finest Munich and pilsner malts for a complex, bready, and slightly honey-like
malt sweetness. Noble hops provide a wonderful balancing bitterness, and a
light floral finish. It comes with a true lager yeast (Saflager S-23) to
produce the most authentic, crisp and clean flavor. This beer was born for
springtime -- it is strong enough to fortify you against chilly spring nights,
yet smooth enough to quaff as the days grow warmer."
REFILL INCLUDES:
1 Can Maibock German-Style Lager HME
1 Packet Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast
REFILL INCLUDES:
1 Can Maibock German-Style Lager HME
1 Packet Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast
In order to get to lager temps, I am using an
old cat litter pan (never used) to put the fermenter in, with ice packs
surrounding it. We’ll see how it works. I put in 8 cups of water.
Also, when I was prepping, I put the extract can
in a pot of boiling water to loosen it up a bit. That seemed to help with the process
a bit.
Brewed batch on March 6, 2011.
Easy one to make. These seasonals don’t require much at all. I really want to
keep it at a lower temp. We’ll see if I can.
Crap! Some extract was left at the bottom of the
pot. I just noticed it. I would day it wasn’t even a millimeter thick (maybe)
but still. It was all thick and gooey. PERFECT for brewing! Oh, well.
March 13, 2011. Well, after a few days
of trying, I couldn’t keep the temperature at a reasonable level so I bagged
it. Now, it’ll probably be a steam beer.
Bottled Sweet*Spring Lager on March 27, 2011. Things
went well, but I didn’t taste it.
Conditioned one bottle on April 3, 2011.
I want to try one this week to see how it tastes. We’ll see. I don’t know…I
think with the high temps and hops left at the bottom of the pot that it might
not be great. The only thing I have going for me is that it’s a seasonal brew.
Conditioned the rest of Sweet*Spring Ale on April 17, 2011.
I couldn’t keep this beer in the fridge! Up
until now, this has been the best beer I’ve made! Mr. Beer sold out of it
already—that says something! If they ever offer it again, I’ll get three cans
of it.
OVERALL SCORE: 8 of 10
No comments:
Post a Comment