Based on the Tasmanian
Devil Australian Pale Ale recipe from Northern Brewer
Five gallon, extract w/specialty grains
Five gallon, extract w/specialty grains
Specialty
Grain:
0.5 lbs Light Carastan
Extracts
and Other Fermentables:
3.15 Maris Otter malt syrup (60 min edition)
6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup (5 min late addition)
Hops:
1 oz. Pride of Ringwood (60 min)
1 oz. Australian Galaxy (5 min)
1 oz Australian Galaxy (dry hop)
Yeast: White Labs WLP009 liquid yeast. Optimal temps…65-70
degrees
May 20, 2015. Created yeast starter with 2000ml flask, Stir
Starter, 1 cup of DME, and the White Labs WLP009. The yeast was very chunky in
the vial and I’m not sure it’ll take. I shook it vigorously and dumped what I
could into the flask. We’ll see.
I’m leaving the flask on the Sir Starter for a day…I’ll check on it
tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll brew.
One thing was strange…I’ve never used a liquid yeast before
and it was weird to see a tan film on the vial, which I assume was leftover
yeast. I couldn’t get it out so I left it. Also, there were several chunks that
fel into the flask from the vial. I thought t would be mostly liquid.
May 21, 2015. Yeast starter looks creamy brown, which from what
I understand means that the yeast is active in the lil wort. I’m going to pitch
it all when it’s time.
I followed the instructions that came with the kit. OG was
1.062 but that was at 71 degrees.
I used StarSan this time to sanitize everything. I had to get
used to the foam, though. I found it hard to believe that the foam wouldn’t
hurt my beer.
May 22, 2015. I looked at the airlock in the morning and
nothing was happening. Temps were
still at 68-70. I thought that my yeast was bad. Whebn I came home in the
afternoon, the airlock was going crazy! Temps were still at 68-70 in my swamp
cooler.
NOTE: I felt that a swamp cooler was the best for me. After doing plenty of research on the internet and realizing that I didn't have enough cash for another fridge and a temp controller, I used a swamp cooler. This can be a big tub where you put the fermenter in and you add some water to it. You can also drapea T-shirt or towel on top of the fermenter so it can wisk the heat away from the fermentor (to cool temps). This can help maintain fairly consistent temps. Also, you add frozen water bottles to adjust the temps within the swamp cooler.
Racked to secondary June 4, 2015, two weeks after brew day. I
was apprehensive about keeping it in the primary for so long (especially since
the yeast did such a great job in the beginning), but I wanted to allow for the
yeast to get all it could. I realize that some of the off-flavors I may have
experienced with the Mr. Beer kits might be due to the long periods of
fermentation and dead yeast laying around, I still think 2 weeks is enough in
this case.
Racking went fairly smoothly. There was a half-inch cake of
hops and yeast at the bottom of the primary and hard yeast caked at the top of
the primary…nasty. The beer itself smelled kinda sweet and reminded me of my
old Mr. Beer recipes. Oops. I hope not. An Austrailian pale ale is a little
malty so who knows. It didn’t smell bad, though. Im just nervous.
After a few minutes, the airlock was working. We’ll see! I
tried to lay the tube down in the carboy to minimize the bubles, but we’ll see.
June 22, 2015 Bottled beer today. FG was 1.036. What? I thought
it would’ve finished out at thispoint since the SG was low. I bottled too soon
and I’m very upset. Sometimes I hate brewing.
The final (unprimed) product tasted very sweet and peachy. Come
to find out, one of the reviewers on the NB site said it was really peachy s
that’s a good sign. Maybe I can salvage this after all by just keeping them
bottled for a longer peiord of time. Some articles and posts have stated that
bottle conditioning is just another type of secondary fermentation. Maybe that’s
true.
June 26, 2015. Tried one today. Beer was very sweet, a little
bitter finish and cloudy as hell. Maybe a stuck fermentation. I shouldn’t have
needed 3-4 weeks in secondary, but maybe so. Crap! I can taste and smell some
serious peach flavor though…
July 1, 2015. The beer doesn’t seem to be getting any
better. It’s drinkable, but it’s still sweet and bitter- like the two are
duking it out but not coming together. The pronounced peach flavor is gone.
July 5, 2015. Tried another beer. It’s been sitting in the
fridge for a few ays. Still EXTREMELY cloudy. Even though some of bitter and
sweet flavors are duking it out, the peach flavor is subtle but back once
again. I’m wondering if I bottled
too soon still, but as this ages I guess I’ll find out.
July 12, 2015. Cold conditioned the rest of the beer.
July 23, 2015. Tried a few tonight from the fridge. Tasted
very bitter. Smelled like homebrew. Not horrible and definitely drinkable- just
not smooth yet and not really any peach flavor. I think it just needs more time.
August 2, 2015. Tastes ok, but it tastes like a homebrew.
It’s cleared up, has nice head retention, bitterness is fine. I can taste he
peach but also the homebrew tatse. Maybe a tad dry as well.
Overall score: 5 out of 10
No comments:
Post a Comment