Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Dredge, a Bourbon Barrel Porter


The final beer in the Inflow Series. This is what they call "crust management"- when the dredged material dries, compacts/settles, and either makes room for more dredged material or is manipulated to form a wetland area. I used red letters in the title just for contrast...

Based on the Bourbon Barrel Porter One Gallon recipe from Northern Brewer

*One gallon extract w/specialty grains recipe*

 Porter Grains
            0.175 English Chocolate Malt
            0.0875 lbs English Dark Crystal
            0.0875 lbs English Black Malt

EXTRACT:
1 lb Dark DME
0.5 lb Wheat DME

HOPS:
3.5 g Chinook (12% AA) (45 min)
3.5 g Willamette (4.5% AA) (10 min)

EXTRAS:
0.5 oz oak cubes (secondary)
3 oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey

YEAST:
Safale S-04 yeast

Brewed on July 24, 2015. Nice brew day. Things went well pretty much without a hitch.

Temps were fairly steady at 66-68 degrees, but they did hit 70 a few times. I had the fermenter in the swamp cooler and used frozen water bottles again to keep the temps down.

August 5, 2015. Placed oak cubes in a cup with 3 oz. Woodford Reserve Bourbon.

August 6, 2015. Racked beer to secondary (NOTE: I used a Mr. Beer fermentor). I Placed the oak cubes and bourbon in first and then siphoned the beer from the fermentor into the Mr. Beer keg.

August 13, 2015. Bottled The Dredge. Only got 8.5 bottles out of this batch. It didn’t taste too great, but I could smell the bourbon!

September 4, 2015. Put one in the freezer and tried it later that night. It was pretty good, but not really carbonated at all. I'm not sure if it'll carbonate or not.

OVERALL SCORE: PENDING

No comments:

Post a Comment