Here is my second attempt at the Great Hops Experiment as popularized by James Spencer and Steve Wilkes of Basic Brewing. I am now using
light DME and 3 other hop varieties: Jarrylo, Summit and Lemondrop. I also used
spring water (I used distilled in the first session) and 1/8 t gypsum during
the boil. I used CBW Golden Light DME (Lovibond 4,
8 Plato). The boil only lasted 15 minutes- just enough to sanitize the extract. See the first experiment for more information on the process.
Brewed July 30, 2015.
Observations: Jarrylo is about ¾” higher (more
volume) than Summit (in terms of the wort level in the one gallon jugs). I thought the Lemondrop’s bubbles before the boil looked
more like my leftover soap from the washing the pot after the Summit boil. We'll see what happens.
Hops X4- Six Pack Jarrylo IPA (F01-02-06-32)
Hops X5- Six Pack Summit IPA (F01-02-07-33)
Hops X5- Six Pack Lemondrop IPA (F01-02-08-34)Temps stayed between 68-70 until I bottled. I used small swamp coolers with wet t-shirts draped over the jugs to whisk away the heat as needed.
August 10, 2015. Bottled X4, X5, and X6.
August 12, 2015. I figured I’d try one but of
course it was too early (I stuck it in the fridge for a while). I have another
one in the fridge I’ll have to get rid of, too. Way too early!
August 19, 2015. I tried a Jarrylo and thought it was nasty. Same taste I observed during the first experiment but not as pronounced. I wonder if the short boil is the problem (like things weren't sanitized/sterilized).
OBSERVATIONS:
I guess I just don't understand exactly why this set of experiments didn't work, either, but it might have something to do with the 15-minute boil. I don't know. I'll go back to it someday but for right now I'll leave it alone. Six batches of beer and nothing drinkable.
OBSERVATIONS:
I guess I just don't understand exactly why this set of experiments didn't work, either, but it might have something to do with the 15-minute boil. I don't know. I'll go back to it someday but for right now I'll leave it alone. Six batches of beer and nothing drinkable.
No comments:
Post a Comment