Sunday, August 2, 2015

F1-05-01-25: Beachcomber cream ale

Label Inspiration: I saw the pic first and then knew I was going to brew a beer that would match the awesomeness of the picture. It happened.

Based on the Speckled Heifer partial mash kit from Northern Brewer
Est. OG: 1.042
Five gallon batch, partial mash
 
SPECIALTY GRAINS:
2 lbs. Rahr 2-row
0.5 lbs CaraPils
0.25 lbs flaked barley
0.25 lbs flaked maize

FERMENTABLES:
3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
1 lb Briess Pilsen DME

HOPS:
0.75 oz Cluster  hops (AA 7.2%)- 60 minutes
0.25 oz Cluster hops (AA 7.2%)- 15 minutes

YEAST:
Safale US-05

ADDITIONS:
1 tsp Irish moss (15 minutes)
8 oz. Maltodextrin (10 minutes)

Actual OG: 1.048 (taken with both refractometer and hydrometer)

June 25, 2015. Brewed cream ale according to recipe from Northern Brewer.
 Notes on the brewing process:
My mash temeperature was a little high so I unfortunately grabbed a bit of tap water too cool it down before the resting period, which might affect the taste. Sometimes my tap water smells and tastes really chlorinated. I couldn’t tell at the time but that still may affect the taste of the beer.
Thanks to Charlie Papazian, I added cinammon to the mash, maybe a bit too much (more than a dash). It didn’t smell like cinnamon after the rest.
I used blankets and towels to try and keep the mash kettle warm to 152 degrees. When I took the blankets and towels off after the hour resting perod, I noticed that the mash was around 143-145. That might be an issue; however, I don’t know how long it was at that temperature.
Another issue that came about was the time when I was pouring water out of an old frozen bottle I was using to help cool the wort after the boiling time. A drop from the water bottle went into the kettle.
July 9, 2015. Bottled the cream ale. Temps went up for the past few days, normally around 70 or so. I added a frozen bottle each time the temp got to 70 or over. The beer smelled really yeasty in the fermenter but didn’t taste as yeasty when I drank it. FG was 1.010. A little high, I think.
Apparent attenuation: 79%
Calories: 157.3 per 12 oz
OG Plato: 11.91
FG Plato: 2.56
ABV: 4.99%
July 23, 2015. Threw one in the fridge and will drink tomorrow.
July 24, 2015. WOW! Tasted my first one after only one day in the fridge. I can’t smell or taste the homebrew in it at all. I CAN taste the corn, but it’s good. I think it was good to add the maltodextrin to add body to it, but it might get thicker as time wears on…we’ll see. It is a little dry but not bad at all. One of the best beers I have ever done!
It was so good that I decided to flash-freeze another one so I could have another one! I wrapped a wet paper towel around the bottle then threw it in the fridge.
July 26, 2015. I’ve had several beers at this point- probably 8 or so. I’ll be putting them in the fridge really soon so they can cold condition.
 August 1, 2015. The beers are really going fast! I think I will have to make another batch of this beer in a few weeks.

August 2, 2015. The BEST BEER I have ever made, by far!!!
Overall score: 8.5 out of 10...the best beer I've made to date! I will brew it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment