| Label Inspiration: Continuing with the Inflow Series...No one really calls the dredged material "spoils" except one guy. The spoils aren't great, but this beer is... |
Based on the one
gallon Oatmeal Stout recipe from the Brooklyn Brew Shop
*ONE GALLON, ALL-GRAIN*
*ONE GALLON, ALL-GRAIN*
I didn’t take any gravity readings. ABV: 4.5%
Ingredients:
Grain mix (unknown)
Golding hops (2/3 at 30 min, 1/3 at 45 min)
Brooklyn Brew Shop yeast
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 C raisins
¼ C brown sugar
Boil time: 90 minutes
Brewed on July 2, 2015. I followed
the directions for making Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout. I mashed in at 160
degrees and managed to hold the temps between the desired range- 144 to 152 degrees.
The instructions called for stirring the mash every 10 minutes during the 60
minute rest. I had to put the pot on the stove once to bring it back up past
144 degrees, but it didn’t take that long.
| Oatmeal raisin cookie stout mash rest |
The boil was 90 minutes. I lost a little liquid by
the end so I just topped the jug off with water to bring it to around 1 gallon.
I placed the one gallon jug in a plastic storage container- I'm using it as a "swamp cooler." Based on my experience with The Slurry, I used a blow-off tube and a glass loaf
pan filled with StarSan. Hopefully the wild fermentation will be done in a few
days.
| Oatmeal raisin stout |
The temperature fluctuated a bit for the next week or so, slowly creeping up to 71 from a 66 reading I got the day after brewing.Whenever the temps crept up, I'd add a frozen water bottle to the water in the swamp cooler.
Bottled the Spoils July 15, 2015.
FG: 1.020 (hydrometer)
ABV: 4.5 (based on the recipe).
August 2, 2015. First taste of it. Slight head on
it. About a ¼ inch. Smells spicy. Very nice. Raisin-y, light. Slight bite to it,
which I hope will mellow out. No homebrew taste, really. Slight alcohol-y taste
but not too bad. Maybe too much carbonation at this point. A little thin in terms of body. Good, though. Will not give up
on this at all! So far, I’ll give it an 8.
August 10, 2015. I had another one while on vacation and it was really good. People thought it was a store-bought craft beer! I have 4 left but a few of them are already meant for other people. I'll have to make another batch this winter.
August 10, 2015. I had another one while on vacation and it was really good. People thought it was a store-bought craft beer! I have 4 left but a few of them are already meant for other people. I'll have to make another batch this winter.
Overall score: PENDING
No comments:
Post a Comment