Ivywild IPA (F01-02-09-35)
Based on the Warrior IPA recipe from Brooklyn Brew
Shop
*one gallon, all-grain*
Ingredients were from Brooklyn Brew Shop and weren't "itemized". The hops were Kent Golding and Columbus. I will be adding honey for priming prior to bottling...
I added approx. 1/8 t gypsum to the boil as well
as a sprinkle of Irish Moss. I DIDN’T add a touch of cinnamon to the mash, as
is suggested by Charlie Papazian (I forgot).
OG: 1.059
7% ABV
Brewed beer on August 15, 2015. I did fine with
the recipe except for the hop schedule- I added the second round of hops too
early (45 minutes instead of 30 minutes). I wonder how that will affect the
final product…we’ll see.
| To help keep the pot submerged in the ice bath and not bobbing up and down and acting all crazy... |
During the ice bath, I placed a 12 lb weight on
top of the lid to the brew kettle so it would stay down (it was to buoyant and
bobbing all over the place, not cooling down fast enough).
I pitched at 66 degrees, a little low. I left the
kettle in the ice bath too long, I suppose. It didn’t take long for the temps
in the jug to hit 68 and then 70. It started bubbling before I went to bed.
August 16, 2015. Temp at 68 this morning (just like ambient
temp). Blow off tube is working nicely (plenty of bubbles in the StarSan-filled
loaf pan). It climbed up to 72 when I got home around 7PM so I added another frozen water bottle to the swamp cooler.
Temps stayed in the 66-68 range for most of the week. I added a wet t-shirt to the swamp cooler (draped it over the fermenter) and it managed to keep the temps down.
Bottled beer on August 29, 2015. I
used honey according to the instructions as my primer. I got almost 9 beers out
of it. It seems lately that I’m only getting about 8 beers out of my one-gallon
batches, which isn’t too bad except for the $15 price tag. These beers should
at least be 10%ABV for that price!
August 31, 2015. Well, I just realized that I
added honey as the primer, but I think I also used fermenting “fizz” drops so
my beer will be super-carbonated. Niiiiiice.
September 2, 2015. I decided to try and release some of the CO2 in the bottles today. I just used the bottle opener end of a wine opener and gently lifted the cap of each bottle up to relieve some of the pressure. I capped each one after letting the bottles sit for about 20 minutes (I think they were cracked open a bit still and releasing the CO2). I'll release more in a few days...I think there's A LOT of carbonation going on in those bottles! I don't want an explosion.
September 10, 2015. Put them in the refrigerator yesterday. They still need to settle down, but I decided to try one anyway. Carbonated like crazy! "Floaties" everywhere, beer tasted drinkable but that doesn't really mean anything. SO far, it's a bust.
September 20, 2015. Tried the last one today but I couldn't finish it. The lesson here is to use a priming calculator and double-check all recipes! I knew that cracking the caps open a little might cause oxidation or invite the nasties in...and I guess that's what happened...but I just had to try and save the batch.
OVERALL SCORE: 3 out of 10. A few of them were decent and I think I actually drank 3/4 of one once.
September 10, 2015. Put them in the refrigerator yesterday. They still need to settle down, but I decided to try one anyway. Carbonated like crazy! "Floaties" everywhere, beer tasted drinkable but that doesn't really mean anything. SO far, it's a bust.
September 20, 2015. Tried the last one today but I couldn't finish it. The lesson here is to use a priming calculator and double-check all recipes! I knew that cracking the caps open a little might cause oxidation or invite the nasties in...and I guess that's what happened...but I just had to try and save the batch.
OVERALL SCORE: 3 out of 10. A few of them were decent and I think I actually drank 3/4 of one once.
No comments:
Post a Comment